Can Machine Learning Assess Robotics Surgeon Skill? - from Dwight Meglan

Dr. Meglan was invited to talk on "Can Machine Learning Assess Robotics Surgeon Skill?" in the "Surgical Technology and Future Innovations" session at the Society of Robotic Surgery meeting later this coming week. Attached here is the deck.

"My view is based on what I encountered in finding Digital Surgery Ltd. in 2016-17 and recommending them for investment and/or acquisition to Medtronic as part of Project Einstein (now Hugo) then doing the diligence for that. Plus what I have continued to see in the field in the subsequent 5 years as I have expanded the companies with whom I have been involved.

The subject of surgeon assessment is non-trivial and requires grounding in clinical psychology, learning theory, and other associated disciplines before one even begins to talk about the specifics of how the machine learning aspect would be implemented. I assume that creating such an automated system can and will be done (and you'll see in the deck that I think Proficiency-based Progression is at least one clear path to follow to do so) but the regulatory and commercial underpinnings for why it will come into existence are not clear to me at this point."

Source: LinkedIn 

Comments

Popular Posts