Visiting UC Louvain
Université catholique de Louvain (UCL) is entirely separate from K.U. Leuven. UCL is a modern university, built only 40 years ago, creating Louvain-la-Neuve, practically a new city that is mostly inhabited by students.
"All within, the Institute of Mechanics, Materials, and Civil Engineering (iMMC) at the Louvain School of Engineering (EPL) of UCL there is a leading international center for research in engineering. Its core strengths span several of the major engineering disciplines, and are grouped into five inter-related topics:
- energy, thermodynamics, and chemical engineering
- mechatronics and biomechanics
- processing, materials, assembly, and structures
- fluid mechanics, environmental engineering, and geomechanics
- numerical and computational methods.
They have a couple of successful medical applications as well:
- Design and prototyping of a subcutaneous micropump (4M-µpump Project)
- Study, realization and validation of an active scope-holder for laparoscopic surgery
- System to assist the surgical re-positioning of the jawbone and mandible
- Interactive robot for the neuro-rehabilitation of hemiplegic patients’ upper limbs--ReaPLAN
- Piezoelectric linear actuators for MR-compatible applications
I met my good old friend, Benoit there, who did his PhD on the "Study, realization and validation of an active scope-holder for laparoscopic surgery", part time in Montpellier. I saw and tried the EvoLap that they plan to redesgin and commercialize this year or so.