CFP: Summer School on Control of Surgical Robots
Sponsored by IEEE RAS, project MURAB
5-9 September 2016 at University of Verona, Italy
The 1st Biannual Summer School on Control of Surgical Robots (COSUR 2016) is a new summer school to be held at University of Verona from September 5th to 9th. COSUR 2016 is jointly organized by the Altair Robotics Lab at University of Verona, the European project MURAB (MRI and Ultrasound Robotic Assisted Biopsy) and the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society (RAS) Technical Committee on Robotic Surgery, and funded by the IEEE RAS, the MURAB project, and the Doctoral Program in Computer Science of the University of Verona.
COSUR 2016 focuses on the control and sensing aspects of robotic surgery. Together with the basics on teleoperation algorithms, the school will address vision and image based control, to introduce students to the main concepts of surgical automation. By introducing automation in surgery, we aim at showing students how to leverage the increased accuracy of robots and medical imaging, to develop new diagnostic and therapeutical tools that can support advanced procedures.
The main themes faced during the school include:
· Control and Sensing in robotic surgery
· Teleoperation and Haptics
· Image-guided robotic surgery and interventions
· Human-Robot Interaction and Cooperation
· Partially autonomous tasks in robotic surgery
Besides the technical aspects, the speakers of the school will present the medical context in which robotic surgery is being used and the research perspective given by relevant EU-funded projects.
The school will include tutorial presentations on the technical topics, medical scenarios presented by clinicians, and research perspectives given by the coordinators of recently funded EU-projects. These lectures will be complemented by laboratory sessions that will let students apply the concepts introduced during the lectures in a laboratory set-up.
Students will be grouped in teams that will develop a project related to the school topics during the last days of the school. The projects will be evaluated by the school lecturers and each student will receive a certificate of attendance, to obtain credits in their university.
The list of international speakers includes:
- Prof. Paolo Fiorini, Università degli Studi di Verona
- Dr. Riccardo Muradore, Università degli Studi di Verona
- Prof. Arianna Menciassi, Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna
- Dr. Leonardo Mattos, Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia
- Dr. Elena De Momi, Politecnico di Milano
- Prof. Tamas Haidegger, Óbuda University
- Prof. Mirko D'Onofrio, University Hospital in Verona
- Prof. Marco Zenati, Harvard Medical School
- Prof. Stefano Stramigioli, Universiteit Twente
- Prof. Chris de Korte, Radboud University Medical Centre
- Prof. Philippe Poignet, Université de Montpellier
The school is held the week before the workshop on Computer and Robot Assisted Surgery (CRAS 2016) that will be held in Pisa on September 12-14, 2016 https://www.cras-eu.org/cras-2016
The students of the school will have the opportunity to present the results of their team projects at the CRAS workshop in a dedicated poster session. To register for the workshop, the school attendees will receive a special COSUR2016 registration fee.
Please check the website for updates on the detailed technical program and list of speakers.
Application deadline: 1 June 2016
Acceptance by: 8 June 2016
Registration deadline: 1 July 2016
APPLICATION AND REGISTRATION
Application details can be found on the COSUR 2016 website:
IEEE-RAS student members are strongly encouraged to participate and will receive a partial travel support up to 500$ each.
- Dr. Marta Capiluppi (Università degli Studi di Verona)
- Dr. Riccardo Muradore (Università degli Studi di Verona)
- Prof. Paolo Fiorini (Università degli Studi di Verona)
- Dr. Selene Tognarelli (Scuola Superiore di Perfezionamento Sant'Anna)
- Prof. Arianna Menciassi (Scuola Superiore di Perfezionamento Sant'Anna)